UROP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS WINTER 2017
Please read the instructions carefully before submitting your application.
Students from any Victorian university undergraduate course may apply. Students studying Science (including Computer Science), Biomedical Science, Mathematics and Engineering subjects are encouraged to apply. Applicants from other degrees are eligible but will be required to demonstrate a particular interest in research.
At the time of application, you must have completed and obtained results for at least one full year of your degree coursework, be currently undertaking studies and have at least 6 months of your undergraduate coursework remaining in 2016. Double degree students are required to have completed two years of their combined degree.
NOTE: Students who are currently in the first year of their course (or 2nd year of a double degree) or will complete undergraduate coursework at the end of this semester are not eligible to apply.
Application is by an online process on the UROP website.
Applications open 6 March 2017.
Applications close 21 March closing time 5pm. Late applications will not be considered.
Applicants are required to submit four documents as attachments to the online application:
1. Application letter
2. Curriculum vitae (Resume) which includes a current passport style photo
3. Electronic copy of results
4. Current passport style photo (can be the same one as in Curriculum vitae)
Applications will not be accepted if any attachments are missing. Please see details of required documents below:
1. Application Letter:
Use this opportunity to differentiate yourself from the other applicants. There are no right or wrong answers, just be genuine. Make sure to tell us about yourself.
Within your application letter, you must address the following questions:
• Why are you interested in research and how did you discover that interest?
• What characteristics do you think a successful researcher needs?
• What initiatives have you undertaken to obtain relevant experience?
• Tell us how you heard about UROP. (20 words or less)
The letter must be no longer than one A4 page, typed in font size 11 or larger. Any text exceeding this limit will be discarded.
2. Curriculum vitae (Resume) including
• Name of the course you are currently enrolled in, current year of study and anticipated completion date (excluding an Honours year)
• Name and contact details (including e-mail address) of one academic referee
Note: You must obtain permission from the referee to use his or her name. The referee may or may not be contacted.
• Your contact details
• Your education and employment history
• Any other relevant information
3. Electronic copy of academic record
The full record of your results can be downloaded from your student information system. If selected for placement, you may be required to provide an official academic transcript to the employing organization.
When completing the application form please input your results in the same order as they appear on your academic record. All results must be entered, including fails. You may omit subjects that just have a pass grade.
If you applied in a previous round and were unsuccessful, it will be necessary to complete a full application, as for a new applicant.
Notification of status of application
Interviews to select candidates for meetings with potential supervisors will be conducted from mid-April for UROP positions to commence in the winter 2017 vacation and continue in Semester 2, 2017. Students need to be available full time for a period of 2 weeks during the vacation to complete the full time requirement of the placement.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by email once final decisions are confirmed by the end of June. Please do not contact UROP enquiring about the status of your application prior to this time.